Thursday, October 2, 2008

Putting off bedtime....

Last night, just before heading to bed, I decided to try a Cornish Heritage Farms stamp called "We Three Kings". I have this need to stamp or create something everyday and I hadn't yet done any stamping. Can you tell I was putting off going to bed? I wanted to play......

I used Adirondack Denim for the Kings on white paper. It stamped so beautifully & clearly on the first try. I added the "Modern Star" with Brilliance Moonlight White which I heat set to dry the ink completely.

This is my favorite part......I got out my Distress inks & Cut N Dry foam bits to color the background. First, I added Scattered Straw around the Star. The ink soaked into the paper a little too quickly & blotchy so I added Antique Linen in a bigger area around the star hoping to smooth out the color & add a base of ink. (A note of warning: the Denim ink did bleed with the Distress inks because it's also water based. StazOn Midnight Blue would be a better choice to avoid bleeding. )Next, I used Broken China, Faded Jeans & Black Soot working towards the edge with progressively darker colors. The Brilliance ink resisted the Distress ink leaving a subtle image of the star. I thought it needed a touch of something to "pop" it but I didn't want to add glitter. I tried my Ranger white Inkessentials pen with a dot at the star top. It was too white! .....so I smudged it with my finger. Voila! I liked the look. I continued to add touches of white & touch & drag the color (with my favorite tools......fingers) to diminish the brightness. The Distress inks were still wet under the white pen so the ink moved easily.
I used a Spellbinders ribbon slide die for the verse (Cornish Heritage Farms) which just fit. Again, I used Distress inks to add color & shade the edges. The Wisemen are matted on pearlescent gold paper & Bazzill navy (not sure of the color name). The striped background paper is by Reminisce. It's the same paper I used on my table under my tags yesterday. It was perfect for this card!
No, I didn't stay up all night to finish this card.........I went to bed after I stamped the images & colored the backgrounds. I put the card together on my lunch today at the store.
Hope it brings you joy & inspiration!
-Judy

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

This is gorgeous! I love what you did with that star!